nf_quota kernel module documentation
0.9 This is the documentation of the nf_quota project's kernel module.
A downloadable version of the documentation can be found at http://projects.fakeroot.at/nf_quota/doc/nf_quota.tar.bz2 .
To get information about the usage of the nf_quota module, watch the usage page.
nf_quota is a configurable ip-based traffic counting module.
nf_quota was designed to be installed on the host between your local clients and the internet (your router). It counts the traffic that passes the specified interface (default: ppp0) for every local ip-address. Hosts can be added to different users. The traffic for users and hosts (and the over-all traffic) can be limited. Every packet from or to a host that's over quota is dropped.
The nf_quota module supports two working modes:
nf_quota example scheme
- If a host that isn't on the list want to connect the internet, it's added to the list with the default host limit.
- dynamic hosts are added to the user 'default'
The traffic statistic is accessable through the file
- Packets from or to hosts that aren't on the list are dropped.
If you want localhost (symbolic ip 127.0.0.1) not to be able to connect to the internet set a traffic limit of 1 for it. Every packet that's sent oder received would exceed the limit and is dropped.
- Implement a daemon for automatically saving the counter values and resetting the counter after a specified time (perhaps with network socket support to readout the counter values)
Implement a frontend to the proc file that's a bit more comfortable.
document, document, document
implement a graphical frontend (e.g. a desklet/widget/firefox extension/...) showing the counter values
- Manuel Reithuber
- NETFILTER nf_quota registers as a netfilter hook to count the traffic.
- PROC the proc filesystem is required because else you weren't able to readout the counter values.
Generated on Wed Sep 13 18:20:14 2006 for nf_quota by